Sam Kerr’s long-rumored move to Europe became official this week with the announcement that NWSL’s all-time leading scorer had signed a two-and-a-half year contract with Chelsea FC in the FA Women’s Super League. One of just 30 players to have appeared in every season since 2013, Kerr steps away from the NWSL in possession of several league records. So here’s a quick look at her NWSL career stats as well as some of her many game highlights.
SAM KERR in NWSL
• Kerr became the first NWSL player to earn season MVP honors twice when she was awarded the 2019 trophy last month. She also won the award in 2017.
• She set the NWSL single-season scoring record twice. In 2017, she netted 17 goals for Sky Blue FC to break Kim Little’s record from 2014. This season she broke her own record, scoring 18 for the Chicago Red Stars.
• Kerr earned Golden Boot honors in three consecutive seasons (2017-19), equaling Marta‘s American wosopro record (WPS Golden Boot winner, 2009-11).
• She is the only player in league history who has scored at least 5 goals in every regular season (2013-19).
• Kerr holds the league record for most shots on goal recorded in one regular season, taking 54 shots on target in 2017. She recorded 53 this year.
• In August 2017, Kerr became the first NWSL player to score 4 goals in one game, leading Sky Blue to a dramatic 5-4 come-from-behind victory over the Seattle Reign. She scored all four goals in the second half.
• That 4-goal performance was the second hat trick for Kerr that season, making her the first NWSL player to record two hat tricks in one season. She is also the only NWSL player with four career hat tricks to her name (two in 2017, one in 2018 and one in 2019).
• Kerr is currently tied for all-time regular-season assists record along with Tobin Heath, Jessica McDonald and Lynn Williams. All have recorded 24.
• In spring 2019, she became the first Australian to play 100 regular-season games in the NWSL.
• Kerr has the highest rate of scoring in league history among players who have played at least 20 regular season games:
• Kerr is tied with Jessica McDonald for most game-winning goals in NWSL — both players have scored 17 game-winners in the regular season and 1 game-winner in the playoffs.
• When she scored her first NWSL goal back in April 2013, Kerr became the first teenager to score in the league. Only two other teenagers have scored a goal since — Mallory Pugh in June 2017 and Ellie Carpenter in May 2018. (Goal happens at approx. 40:50 mark of video below).
Suffice to say, NWSL’s loss is Chelsea’s gain. But thanks for the memories, Sam Kerr …. and all those goals and assists.
COMING SOON – the 2019 Keeper Notes NWSL Almanac
Like these stats? Find these stats and much, much more in the Keeper Notes NWSL Almanac. The 2019 edition of the 320+ page, full-color comprehensive book is scheduled to ship in mid-December. Pre-order your copy now for a disounted price! And email the Keeper with any stat suggestions!